Nico Collins says decision to not return was just business
By: Mike Stiles -
Thursday, October 22, 2020
Nico Collins (photo courtesy of Getty Images)
(UNDATED) – Former Michigan start wide receiver Nico Collins said Tuesday that while it would be "bittersweet" to watch his former team open the season at Minnesota on Saturday, he was focused on getting ready for the NFL combine. On "The Adam Schefter Podcast" on Tuesday night, Collins talked about his decision to opt out when the Big Ten postponed the football season in August, after deciding to return for his senior season. Collins says everything was going smooth, just as planned, until the COVID-19 outbreak. He said it was heartbreaking when they canceled the season. With not knowing if or when the season would start, Collins says he sat down with his family, and just made a business decision because he felt like he was in no man's land for a minute, because he came back to play his senior season and they canceled it. Collins said he considered opting back in, but that the timing wasn't right. Collins had 78 receptions for 1,388 yards and 13 touchdowns over his three-year career. He had 37 catches for 729 yards and seven scores last year.