goingon
Sturgis City Commission Approves Additional Contingency For North Franks Project
By: Mike Stiles - Thursday, April 3, 2025

Sturgis City Engineer Barry Cox (photo courtesy of Mike Stiles/Swick Broadcasting)

(STURGIS) – The Sturgis City Commission approved an additional $20,000 in contingency funds for the North Franks Avenue Reconstruction Project.

During last week’s meeting, Sturgis City Engineer Barry Cox presented an update to the Commission, starting with the original contingency that was approved for the project last year. ...... {LISTEN}.

Cox says unfortunately, the project saw several bid item quantities increase over the course of construction, which added more cost to complete the project. ...... {LISTEN}.

Additional drainage structures were added to reduce the potential for flooding at the low point of the road, just north of the Doyle Community Center, which was an additional $21,900.

Cox says due to the project’s pace, Fleis and VandenBrink requested an increase of $24,000 for added resident project representative services time, which was approved in October.

Based on the current information, Cox says that’s how City staff came up with the $20,000 figure for the additional contingency. The Commission approved the request by an 8-1 vote, with Marvin Smith casting the lone no vote.



MORE HEADLINES

>> News Archive