Coldwater House Fire Ruled Accidental

2017-09-12

(COLDWATER) – A weekend house fire in Coldwater is being ruled as accidental.

The blaze at 674 North Union City Road was reported around 6:20 Sunday evening. The home is owned by Chad Rakocy.

The Coldwater Fire Department arrived and found heavy smoke and fire coming from the basement of the dwelling. They were able to contain the fire to that area and eventually put it out.

It's believed the fire started when a pet knocked over a candle in a basement bedroom onto some combustible items. The bedroom sustained considerable damage and the rest of the house had heavy smoke damage.

The occupants were able to get out safely, and a pet was retrieved and revived by rescue personnel.

Firefighters say there were working smoke detectors throughout the house.

Also assisting at the scene were the Branch County Victim's Services Unit and Life Care Ambulance.

Fire Destroys Building In Downtown LaGrange
Fire Destroys Building & Leaves Heavy Damage In Downtown LaGrange