LAGRANGE – Lakeland High School received the National Athletic Trainers’ Association Safe Sports School award for its Athletic Department.
The award champions safety and recognizes secondary schools that have met the recommended standards to improve safety in sports by stressing the importance of providing the best level of care, injury prevention, and treatment.
Lakeland High School Athletic Director Roman Smith said the goal in partnering with Parkview Sports Medicine is to lead the athletics program to the highest safety standards for players.
In order to achieve Safe Sports School status athletic programs must:
• Create a positive athletic health care administrative system
• Provide or coordinate pre-participation physical examinations
• Promote safe and appropriate practice and competition facilities
• Plan for selection, fit function and proper maintenance of athletic equipment
• Provide a permanent, appropriately equipped area to evaluate and treat injured athletes
• Develop injury and illness prevention strategies, including protocols for environmental conditions
• Provide or facilitate injury intervention
• Create and rehearse a venue-specific Emergency Action Plan
• Provide or facilitate psychosocial consultation and nutritional counseling/education
• Be sure athletes and parents are educated about the potential benefits and risks in sports as well as their responsibilities.
(05-22-2019) Small plane crashes near Indy; Two dead
(05-22-2019) Goshen wins Green Ribbon School Award
(05-22-2019) Lakeland forms pre-school program
(05-22-2019) Former Constantine reserve officer compensated
(05-22-2019) New Angola hotel opens
(05-22-2019) Missing Garrett teen found in Tennessee
(05-20-2019) LaGrange Co. Commissioners authorize grant applications
(05-20-2019) Jobless rates go down in April across NE Indiana
(05-20-2019) Lots of teacher resignations, preschool on Lakeland agenda
(05-20-2019) Severe weather mostly skips our area
(05-20-2019) Jeffersonville neighborhood ravaged as house explodes
(05-20-2019) Garrett man sentenced to 80 years for shooting police
(05-20-2019) Angola man dies when car hits scooter
(05-17-2019) Testimony in murder trial ends
(05-15-2019) Bronson police officers have new contract
(05-15-2019) Alleged drunk driver kills Topeka man on bicycle
(05-15-2019) Hudson woman hurt in I-69 crash
(05-14-2019) Rain putting farmers behind on planting