LAGRANGE – Lakeland High School received the National Athletic Trainers’ Association Safe Sports School award for its Athletic Department.
The award champions safety and recognizes secondary schools that have met the recommended standards to improve safety in sports by stressing the importance of providing the best level of care, injury prevention, and treatment.
Lakeland High School Athletic Director Roman Smith said the goal in partnering with Parkview Sports Medicine is to lead the athletics program to the highest safety standards for players.
In order to achieve Safe Sports School status athletic programs must:
• Create a positive athletic health care administrative system
• Provide or coordinate pre-participation physical examinations
• Promote safe and appropriate practice and competition facilities
• Plan for selection, fit function and proper maintenance of athletic equipment
• Provide a permanent, appropriately equipped area to evaluate and treat injured athletes
• Develop injury and illness prevention strategies, including protocols for environmental conditions
• Provide or facilitate injury intervention
• Create and rehearse a venue-specific Emergency Action Plan
• Provide or facilitate psychosocial consultation and nutritional counseling/education
• Be sure athletes and parents are educated about the potential benefits and risks in sports as well as their responsibilities.
(2018-12-18) - Gas prices head down this week
(2018-12-18) - Two injured in crash near Goshen
(2018-12-18) - Wenzel Elementary teacher wins Oster Award
(2018-12-17) - State grant to improve some Sturgis area roads
(2018-12-17) - Steuben head-on crash leaves woman pinned
(2018-12-17) - Corunna man injured in fiery cash
(2018-12-17) - Struggle leads to shots fired at the end of a pursuit
(2018-12-17) - Commissioners purchase new computer aided dispatch software
(2018-12-14) - Traffic stop involving off-duty police prompts probe
(2018-12-14) - Mobile home fire near Angola called suspicious
(2018-12-14) - ISP officer from Steuben promoted to Area 2 commander
(2018-12-14) - Jury convicts Johnson on all counts in Ligonier murders
(2018-12-13) - Man pistol whipped during robbery
(2018-12-13) - Senator Glick gets committee assignments
(2018-12-13) - Angola man faces charges following pursuit
(2018-12-13) - Couple headed to prison for fatal hit-run crash
(2018-12-12) - Grace Miller named Lilly Community Scholarship winner
(2018-12-11) - Elkhart police chief resigns
(2018-12-11) - Teen pleads not guilty in stabbing death