Camp manager burned when propane tank explodes

2018-07-09

JONES – A propane tank explosion injured one person and a caught a cabin on fire at a Cass County campground.

Sheriff Richard Behnke says the incident happened at Bair Lake Bible Camp in Jones at 9:20 Sunday morning. 44 year old Facilities Manager David Stiles of Jones was doing a maintenance treatment on a cabin when a propane tank exploded.

Stiles was injured and flown by Med Flight to South Bend Memorial Hospital. His condition is not being released.

The explosion caused a fire in the cabin, which was put out by the Newberg Fire Department. The incident remains under investigation.

Behnke says everyone should be careful when using propane tanks. Propane is easily ignited and can cause severe injuries. If you hear a leak around a propane tank or smell rotten eggs near a tank, leave the area and immediately contact emergency services.

Two car crash sends five to the hospital
DeKalb man accused of soliciting 12-year-old