Gas Leak Leads To Electric Service Being Turned Off
By: Mike Stiles -
Tuesday, August 31, 2021
(photo courtesy of City of Sturgis)
(STURGIS) – A gas leak Monday afternoon led to electric service being turned off for approximately 150 Sturgis electric customers.
City officials say a gas leak was reported in the area of Michigan Avenue and Mechanic Street just before 2 PM. As a precautionary measure, the Sturgis Electric Department turned off power to those neighborhoods. The controlled outage impacted properties in the area bounded by East Congress Street to the north; Grand Street to the south; South Lakeview Avenue to the east and Wilson Street to the west.
The gas leak was a result of damage due to construction work in the area. City officials say the leak was fixed and power was turned back on to that area around 4:20 PM.
>> News Archive